Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 6: Corfu

This morning was a repeat of yesterday: up with the roosters!

Corfu is one of the Greek islands on the west side of mainland Greece. It's a much larger city than the other coastal towns that we have been to so far.  I would love to spend another day here.  It's impossible to take in all that is in Corfu in one day. It's in the Ionian see and the water is beautiful.

Our tour took us up the narrow...and I mean narrow...streets of the mountain by the sea.  We visited the monastery of the Virgin Mary.  It was interesting but the view from the top was much more appealing to me.  If I had it to do over, I would skip the tours here and visit the town on my own. Oh...I failed to mention that the narrow street actually divides the beaches that are right at the bottom of where the monastery is. One side seemed to be for the avid scuba diver.  The other side had paddle boats and motor boats that you can rent on the opposite side of the street.  I saw a sign that said there were caves that you could go into with the boats.  If you have instagram, check out the pictures that I took of the sea from the monastery.  I'm listed under 'golfingbev'.

After the monastery tour, our guide took us in to the 'old town' of Corfu.  It was bustling with activity.  If you ever visit here, stay in the town and then drive to the mountains. It's about a 15 minute drive.  The people here were not very friendly, but I don't really blame them because the town gets bombarded with tourists when the ships come into port.  Plus, they all seem to arrive on the same day.

One little bit of trivia about Corfu is that Prince Philip was born here in Mon Repos in the former royal palace.  It now houses the Paleopolis Museum.  It's just outside the city of Corfu.

It was formal night on the ship tonight. We weren't going to participate until we discovered that lobster was on the menu.  We had a great time with our new Aussie friends Darrell and Shirley.

More tomorrow.....

1 comment: